I usually hate doing recipes from the internet. I mean, they could be awful, and how can I really trust the person writing about it? Also, I could easily screw it up and then I could waste a ton of money on the raw ingredients just to get something no one wants to eat. But, I found a recipe online that inspired me enough to actually venture into the kitchen. I made cheesy turkey quinoa bites/muffins. They turned out so good, I wanted to share the recipe with you!
These are from WeAreGlutenFree.com and the recipe can be found here.
Here’s what mine looked like:
*note, these look a bit different than the ones that are on the website, I used the red quinoa variety because I had it readily available, and I used ground turkey instead of using cut-up turkey lunch meat (because we always keep ground turkey on hand). Here’s their recipe and my notes:
- 2 cups cooked quinoa (I used red, they used the regular variety)
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup shredded carrots (if you use store-bought carrots, cut them smaller than they come pre-packaged, it’s easier to bake this way)
- 1 heaping tb minced garlic (we used at least two – we love garlic)
- 1 1/2 cup shredded cheese (I used a mixture of jack and cheddar) (I used less cheese than this, but if you really want it cheesy, keep it)
- 3/4 cup turkey, diced (I used ground turkey)
- 1/4 cup diced red onion (I used both onions – red, yellow, and green)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix all ingredients in a big bowl.
- Grease regular sized muffin pan with butter or oil and fill each cup to the top.
- Bake 20-25 minutes, until the edges of the muffins begin to brown. (mine took a little longer to cook than this).
I ran out of space in a muffin tin, so I also baked some of the mixture in a bread pan to make a “loaf” of turkey quinoa. We cut these up and had them for breakfast the next day.
And now you have a fun and protein-filled breakfast that’s good to take the work the next day (or two). Keeps you full and happy!